StartUp Britain, the national campaign for entrepreneurship in the UK, are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, motivated and capable intern to work on our StartUp High Street initiative and manage the flagship store in Richmond.
Back in March 2011, eight entrepreneurs launched a national private-sector-led campaign to encourage entrepreneurship, with the full support of David Cameron, the Chancellor and HM Government.
StartUp High Street will provide small businesses with opportunities (on a rolling basis) to secure space on the high street in previously closed-down shops: a valuable opportunity to test the waters of physical retail, promote products face to face and raise brand profile.
Richmond has been identified as the launch location and will act as a pilot for roll-out across the country.
With high-profile supporters and a busy launch schedule taking place, we are looking for a hard-working individual with a passion for retail who can help us turn empty spaces into fully-functioning shops, whilst managing the relationships with the businesses who apply, ensuring that they (and we) make the most of this unique opportunity.
- managing and co-ordinating the smooth running of the store, including dealing with customer queries, and opening and locking-up
- reviewing applications and selecting appropriate startups to occupy the space, based on market and consumer research from the pilot stage
- ensuring selected startups are sufficiently supported
- ensuring the store is well presented at all times, particularly in between groups of startups
- encouraging entrepreneurship and supporting StartUp Britain in the store and local community
- raising and measuring local impact (footfall)
This internship will last for a minimum of 4 weeks and we are looking for a candidate to start immediately. The successful candidate will need to be able to commute to Richmond on a daily-basis and be flexible on the hours and days they work.
- Required Skills Our ideal candidate will be able to commute to Richmond whenever required
- be flexible on the times and days they work
- and have retail experience. The earlier they can start
- the better! Candidates should be: Excellent communicators
- personable and able to connect to a variety of people at all levels Experienced in customer service Passionate about entrepreneurship Able to maintain a positive “can do” attitude and adapt quickly while working in a fast-paced environment Organised and detail-orientated but able to consider wider strategy Comfortable working individually and within a team Comfortable with MS Office Suite (Word
- Excel and Powerpoint) An artistic flair is advantageous If you feel you've got what it takes to carry out this role effectively whilst adding something unique to the campaign
- we want to hear from you!